Inspired by the classic adventure games of the 80s & 90s, Battle Axe is an arcade top-down hack & slash created by veteran pixel artist Henk Nieborg. Battle Axe features high quality visuals, true to form game mechanics, and music from the legendary VGM composer Manami Matsumae – retro gamers rejoice!
For as long as you and your people can remember, your homeland of Mercia has been held in the tyrannical grip of “Etheldred”; a despotic sorceress who resides in a seemingly impenetrable tower in the distant icy wastelands to the north. Every seven years she sends her armies south to handpick inhabitants from each township who will be subjected to a life of slavery, and they are never heard from again.
A call is sent out to champions across the land pleading with them to put an end to her rule. An elf, a wizard and a marauder answer the call. Join this band of heroes on their quest the vanquish evil from the land and defeat Etheldred once and for all!
● Pixel art fun – an adventure for pixel art enthusiasts, with gorgeously designed characters and environments to enjoy with every frame
● Hack n’ slash adventure – familiar yet revitalised, thanks to new gameplay elements, improved controls and pixel perfect animations
● Enjoy a timeless melody – a superb soundtrack by legendary composer Manami Matsumae
● Solo or co-op – choose from three highly-detailed heroes to embark with on your quest, playing alone or with a friend in local co-op
● Inspired by the classics – inspired by genre classics like Gauntlet and Golden Axe